Vehicles in Mafia II are authentic to their time period. With 44 accessible vehicles and an additional 12 bonus vehicles, the variation adds an element of realism to the vibrant look of Empire Bay. Vehicles are unlocked throughout the coarse of the game and most passenger vehicles can be saved in the players garages.
Cars can run out of fuel, suffer body damage, collect dirt and explode. Upgrades and repairs can be purchased at any Charlie's Service & Repair. Car trunks and hoods can be opened, and engines can be repaired if they break down. The player can customize many parts of the car to their liking, including engine upgrades, color changes, wheels, tires, as well as personalized license plates. Additional upgrades are added through download of certain DLCs.
Trucks and Vans
Trucks and Vans
- Main article: Downloadable Content in Mafia II
- Main article: Charlie's Service & Repair
Vehicles in Mafia II can be modified with three levels of performance upgrades.
- Basic Tuning increases the overall performance and top speed of the engine. This is the only level available in the 1940s era of the game.
- Sports Tuning decreases the weight of the vehicle and tightens up the suspension, giving the vehicle better handling.
- Super Charge increases the engines speed by adding a supercharger. This level is only available if The Betrayal of Jimmy or Jimmy's Vendetta is installed.
Vehicles in Mafia II can be modified with four different cosmetic upgrades.
- Paint. Vehicles can be painted in single or two-tone, depending on the vehicle. 20 colors are available in the 1940s era and an additional 20 are added in the 1950s.
- Custom paint jobs. Eight different custom paint jobs, from racing stripes and decals to flames, are available. These are only accessible if The Betrayal of Jimmy or Jimmy's Vendetta is installed.
- Wheels and tires. Choose from twelve different sets of Rims and Tires. Five are available in the 1940s era and an additional seven become available in the 1950s.
- Custom license plates. Change your license plate to suit your personality. Choose up to six characters with numbers 0-9 and letters A-Z.
There are 7 vehicle related achievements in Mafia II.
- The One Careful Owner achievement requires the player to drive a total of 50 miles in one vehicle.
- The Petrol Head achievement requires the player to drive at least 30 different vehicles.
- The Cruise Control achievement requires the player to keep any vehicle at 30 mph or over for 5 minutes.
- The Get Rich or Die Flyin' achievement requires the player to get all wheels of your car into the air for at least 20 meters and then touch the ground again.
- The Pedal to the Metal achievement requires the player to travel at 125 mph.
- The Tuned Ride achievement requires the player to upgrade one of your cars one level.
- The Dream Handling achievement requires the player to upgrade one of your cars to the maximum level.