- See also: Thompson 1928 (Mafia)
Designed by John T. Thompson in 1919, it became infamous during the prohibition era and was in common use at the time, preferred by law enforcement and criminals alike for its ergonomics, compactness, large .45 caliber cartridge, and its high rate of automatic fire.
The weapon has a magazine capacity of 50 rounds, and the player can carry an additional 3 magazines for a total of 200 rounds. It has a fully automatic rate of fire with an above average amount of recoil, making it better used in short bursts. It occupies a slot in the upper section of the weapons HUD along with other automatic weapons.
- They will be dropped by enemy gangster starting in Chapter 5.
- They become available for sale at Harry's Gun Shop in Chapter 7.
- In The Betrayal of Jimmy, one will be in the player's inventory from the start of the DLC.
- In Jimmy's Vendetta and Joe's Adventures, they are available for purchase at Harry's Gun Shop from the beginning.
- You can find more real world information about the Thompson 1928 on its Wikipedia page.
- The Tommy Gun returns in Mafia II because the developers said that it wouldn't be a Mafia game without the classic gangster weapon.
- In addition to the "Tommy Gun", it was also known as the "Trench Broom", "Trench Sweeper", "Chicago Typewriter", "Chicago Piano", "Chicago Style", "Chicago Organ Grinder", and "The Chopper".
- A similar weapon, the Trench 1938 Drum, appears in Mafia III.